As of January 1, 2022, commercial partners can no longer purchase new or renew software licenses, or online services through the Microsoft Open License program. This change will go into effect for academic, commercial, government, and nonprofit organizations. With software licenses now available through CSP, partners can now transition to a simplified purchase experience with expanded service offerings to meet hybrid customer needs.
What are your options?
If you are buying perpetual software licenses only (without Software Assurance):
- Transition Open license customers from Open to Cloud CSP
- Buy perpetual software licenses through Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace
If you have Software Assurance coverage through the Open License program:
- Your Software Assurance term, including benefits, will continue until its expiration, even if the expiration is after December 31, 2021.
- The Microsoft Open Value program is recommended for future purchases that include Software Assurance.
- The Microsoft Open Value Subscription program doesn’t offer perpetual software licenses but is a lower-cost subscription that gives you rights to use the software during the agreement’s term and also includes Software Insurance.
What option is a better solution?
Depending on your customer's needs, the retirement of Open licenses on January 1, 2022, marks a pivotal moment for IT providers and resellers. And creates an opportunity to rethink strategy to maximize profitability and help customers adopt trends in remote work, CapEx to OpEx cash flow, and increasing cloud consumption.
Review this comparison chart to find the best fit for you and your customers:
1 License keys must be used within 14 calendar days before expiring. Expired License Keys are returned to the “Microsoft 365 Administration Center” as newly available License Entitlements. 2 No refunds will be offered for partially used license keys. 3 Ingram Micro partner support is limited to ensure the distribution of the product is successful. If additional technical support is needed, partners can purchase from Microsoft or a third party.
Support either way: Cloud CSP or Perpetual through Cloud Marketplace
Through Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace, partners can enjoy streamlined sales, operational and management capabilities across classic Microsoft Online solutions, software subscriptions and perpetual software. Here is how Cloud Marketplace can help you better your business:
Drive higher profitability
With Microsoft Online and Perpetual software in CSP, Microsoft resellers are now able to expand and consolidate hybrid licensing needs on to one platform – Cloud Marketplace. Plus, CSP offers the most competitive prices.
Improve the selling experience
Enjoy streamlined sales, operational and management capabilities for partners within a single commerce platform–Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace. You’ll also receive agile and immediate provisioning.
Be among the first to sell Perpetual in CSP on Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace. Don't get bogged down by processes and platform issues as others try to ramp up.
Expand service offerings
Partners can provide a simplified experience for customers who need both software and Perpetual software to support their hybrid environments—transacting with a single partner for all.
Your next step: Set up a Cloud Marketplace account
With 10 million active seat subscriptions in 64+ countries and more than 55,000 partners, including 20,000 cloud solutions providers (CSPs), Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace delivers the cutting-edge tools and know-how you need to build and grow your own ecosystem—and generate long-term profitability—quickly and easily.
Already an IMOnline Partner?
1. Follow Step-by-Step Guide Here
2. Login and navigate to Control Panel
New to Ingram Micro?
1. Request a New Account Here
• For more information on Open licenses program changes
• How to purchase: Review our Partner Walkthrough of Purchasing Perpetual Software through Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace
• Get in touch with an Ingram Micro Cloud representative: Microsoft-Cloud@ingrammicro.com